Lotus 18 - The autobiography of Stirling Moss’s ‘912’
Author: Ian Wagstaff
The first World Championship race of the 1½-litre Formula 1 era introduced for 1961 was the Monaco Grand Prix and Ferrari’s powerful new ‘shark-nose’ cars were expected to dominate it, but Moss used all his craft and guile to take a celebrated win in his Lotus 18. Although Ferrari did prove to be the dominant force that season, Moss scored a second success in this same car, chassis number 912, at the Nürburgring, a race that turned out to be the last World Championship Formula 1 victory of his career. The car’s entire 1961 season, and its subsequent life, is covered in fascinating detail in this ‘Great Cars’ book, supported by a fine collection of period photographs.
An in-depth account of the dramatic 1961 Monaco Grand Prix includes Stirling Moss’s recollections of his win in his Rob Walker-entered Lotus 18, which famously raced with its side panels removed.
• The car’s seven other World Championship Formula 1 races of the 1961 season covered in full, with special focus on Moss’s victory in the German Grand Prix.
• A third race success came in 1961 when Moss won the non-championship Modena Grand Prix.
• Insights into Rob Walker Racing, the most successful ‘privateer’ team in Formula 1 history, including the recollections of mechanic Tony Cleverly.
• For the 1962 season, the car passed to Count Volpi’s Scuderia SSS Repubblica di Venezia team and took part in five non-championship races, achieving a best result of sixth place for Nino Vaccarella in the Pau Grand Prix.
• Later life, including a spell in Tom Wheatcroft’s Donington Collection.
• Nearly 300 period images, many previously unpublished, supported by a portfolio of studio photography.
Classic Edition signed by author Ian Wagstaff.
All orders are shipped via DHL Express or Royal Mail. Next day delivery can also be selected upon checkout.
Free shipping is applied to orders over £100 within the UK and orders over £200 outside of the UK.
Made to Order products are dispatched within 28 days of purchase.
Pre-Order products are expected to be dispatched within 3-4 weeks from time of purchase.
For more information on shipping, returns and exchanges please click here.