Jaguar Lightweight E-type - The autobiography of 49 FXN
Authors: Philip Porter & James Page
This exhaustive book tells the story of the 1963 Lightweight Jaguar E-type that was famously given an aerodynamic makeover by Dr Samir Klat of Imperial College, London, for the 1964 season. Driven by Peter Lumsden and Peter Sargent, the sleek car proved its high-speed potential by running third in the GT class at Le Mans that year until forced to retire soon after nightfall, but three months later it achieved a prestigious result – best-placed E-type and fifth in the GT class – at the Tourist Trophy at Goodwood. Known by its registration number, 49 FXN, this celebrated Lightweight E-type has remained active for most of its life, and the exploits of a succession of notable owners form a fascinating aspect of the book.
• The 1963 season in ‘standard’ form, from début in the Nürburgring 1,000Kms to two end-of-season victories for Peter Sargent at Silverstone and Brands Hatch, taking in the Goodwood TT, too.
• A full account of the car’s modification over the winter of 1963/64, its aerodynamic and engine development masterminded by Dr Samir Klat and Prof Harry Watson.
• Complete coverage of the 1964 season, including the Le Mans 24 Hours and a return to the Nürburgring 1,000kms and Goodwood TT.
• One more season with Peter Lumsden, prior to his retirement from racing, brought wins at Crystal Palace and Brands Hatch in 1965.
• Competition through the second half of the 1960s with various owners, one of whom, John Scott-Davies, famously put 49 FXN into the lake at Oulton Park.
• The car’s rise to collectability in later years documented in full, including restoration and historic racing.
• The rich racing record of 49 FXN includes guest appearances in recent years by star drivers such as Willie Green, Derek Bell and Gerhard Berger.
• Nearly 300 period images, many previously unpublished, supported by a portfolio of studio photography.
All orders are shipped via DHL Express or DPD. Next day delivery can also be selected upon checkout.
Made to Order products are dispatched within 28 days of purchase.
Pre-Order products are expected to be dispatched within 3-4 weeks from time of purchase.
For more information on shipping, returns and exchanges please click here.