1959 Ferrari 250 GT Pininfarina
£499,990 | Location: United Kingdom
The 250 GT Coupe made its debut at the 1958 Paris Motor Show, marking a decisive step towards true series production for Ferrari. Coachwork penned by Pinin Farina succeeded that of the Boano- and Ellena-built cars, with a total of 353 examples built by the time production had concluded. The 250 GT Coupe features an elegant design, further complimented by a luxuriously upholstered interior. Equipped with Ferraris renowned 3.0 litre Colombo V12 which produced 240 horsepower at 7,000 rpm, the 250 GT Coupe could achieve 60 mph in just 7 seconds and reach a top speed just shy of 150 mph.
Constructed in 1959, Chassis no. 1301 was optioned with an exceptionally elegant colour combination of Rosso Bordeaux with a Grigio Conchiglia roof over a Nero interior.
The car was delivered new via Franco Britannic Autos LTD to Paris, France, and still retains the supplying dealers deliver plaque in the engine bay. 1301 remained in France until being returned to the factory where it was fitted with Dunlop disc brakes in 1961, replacing the early drum style brakes. Once fitted, the 250 returned to France where it went into storage with a well-known concessionaire. During this time, 1301 GT was stored with another 250, a one-off Pinin Farina Coupe Speciale that was built specifically for Prince Bertil of Sweden, chassis no. 0853 GT. The car was stationed in France for the Prince's use while staying at his home in Saint-Maxime de la Mer on the French Riviera. After 0853 GT developed a problem with its engine, the concessionaire switched it with the motor in 1301 GT.
By 1972, chassis no. 1301 GT had been sold to Gilbert Barnoin, a dentist residing in Nice, where it had the French registration number ‘2690 RS 06’. Barnoin would go on to own the car for the next 17 years, and then, the car was subsequently sold in 1989 to Luis José Flores Esteves, a Portuguese gentleman living in France. Esteves would be another long-term owner of chassis 1301 GT and continued to own the car until 2007, bringing it with him when he moved back to Oporto, Portugal.
The car was then purchased by well-known New Hampshire based collector Lee Herrington in 2007. At the time, Herrington also owned chassis 0853 GT and took the opportunity to reunite both cars with their original engines. During Herrington’s ownership, the car was in unrestored yet largely unmolested condition and said to be in good running order, even still wearing its original colour combination.
After Herrington sold 1301 GT, the car was immediately sent to Billy Smilovsky of Engineered Automotive in Concord, Ontario, Canada, where it underwent a complete restoration costing circa $350,000.
In 2015, a long standing Furlonger client acquired 1301 GT and used it sparingly before consigning the car with us for sale. Furlonger supplied the 250 GT Coupe to a collector based in Scotland in 2016, who regularly enjoyed the car during his ownership which lasted 5 years.
In January 2021, Furlonger purchased 1301 GT back from said custodian and conducted an extensive recommissioning of the car, including an engine out detail and overhaul, refurbishment to all four Borrani wheels, refresh of the suspension and recently awarded Classiche Certification.
This presents an excellent opportunity to own a highly collectable ‘50s Ferrari with matching numbers, Classiche Certification and recent comprehensive preparation.